To extend your Southwest Travel Funds you must call Southwest customer relations at (855) 234-4654 extension 4. You cannot request an extension online. Southwest is one of the most customer friendly airlines when it comes to tickets changes and cancellations, especially considering other airlines like United, American and Delta that will charge you $250 to change your flight. If you cancel a non-refundable ticket on Southwest, the travel funds are available for 1 year from the date the ticket was originally purchased (not the date that you canceled the ticket). If you are unable to use your travel funds by the expiration date, don’t worry, there is still hope to retain some of the money you originally paid for your ticket!
Southwest Travel Funds Extension
Southwest has a policy where you are allowed to request a one-time travel funds extension for six months after your credit expires. There is a $100 fee to process your extension request, which will be deducted from your total credit (assuming that you have more than $100 of credit expiring). For example if you originally bought a $350 ticket, and request a 6-month extension you will receive $250 (minus $100 deducted from your original ticket value). The travel funds are reissued in the form of a Southwest LUV voucher (electronic travel fund credit) delivered to you by email.
How Long Does The Extension Process Take?
UPDATE: The travel funds extension process can take up to 30 days (previously the processing time was 7-14 days). In my case it took the entire 14 days, and I called Southwest customer relations on the 13th day to inquire as to the status of my voucher. They assured me that the LUV voucher would be delivered within two weeks, and added that it could take the entire 14 days, which it did. I received my voucher by email the very next day. Let this be a warning to you, especially if you want to use the travel funds for an upcoming trip that may be within 2 weeks.
When Should I Call Southwest?
You must wait until your travel credit has actually expired in order to request an extension. If you call before your funds expire you will be told to wait and call back after the your travel credit expires. The LUV voucher expiration date will be exactly six months from the day that Southwest issues the voucher by email.
Keep in mind that you could wait months after the voucher expired to request your extension! You do not need to call right away. Make sure you have upcoming travel plans before you request the extension, but don’t wait until the last minute as there is a 30-day processing time. In my case I waited over 4 months after my funds expired to submit my extension request.
Steps to Request a Southwest Travel Funds Extension?
1. Make sure you know how much your travel funds are worth and when they expire. You can view the details on Southwest’s website here. Remember to take note of your confirmation number as the agent will need this.
2. Call Southwest Airlines customer relations at (855) 234-4654 extension 4 (Monday – Friday 7:00 am – 8:00 pm CST).
3. You only need to provide the confirmation number associated with the original travel funds. They will ask for your name to verify that it belongs to you.
3. They will request your phone number and email, which will be where they will deliver your Southwest LUV Voucher (processing may take up to 30 days).
4. Remember that you are only allowed one extension per travel funds credit, so plan carefully.