Virgin America just announced two new visa cards called the Virgin America Visa Signature Card ($49 Annual Fee) and the Virgin America Premium Visa Signature Card ($149 Annual Fee). Both cards are issued by Capital Bank.
What’s Great About The New Virgin America Cards?
Both cards come with some very interesting perks, especially for those who are interested in earning points and getting elite status. Let’s take a look at the basic card first.
Virgin America Visa Signature Card ($49 Annual Fee)
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent with Virgin America
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else
- One free checked bag for yourself and one companion
- $150 towards a companion ticket annually
- 20% off in-flight purchases
Virgin America Premium Visa Signature Card ($149 Annual Fee)
- Same rewards as the basic card plus the following.
- Earn up to 15,000 Virgin America Elevate status points per year
- Carry forward additional status points on your renewal date
- No change or cancel fees on VX flights
I must say that while the basic card does not interest me much, the premium version seems like a good way to make earning elite status much easier. You only need to earn 20,000 Elevate points per year in order to earn Elevate Silver status, which seems pretty darn easy if you can get 15,000 points through your credit card. Now, the question becomes how much do you value Elevate Silver status? Especially if you already have elite status with one of the big four domestic US airlines?
Benefits of Elevate Silver Elite Status:
- Complimentary upgrades to Main Cabin Select when available
- Priority boarding
- One free checked bag
- 25% bonus Elevate points on all Virgin America flights
- Coupon for 25% off a round trip
- 2 Free day passes to the Virgin America Loft lounge at LAX
While these benefits are not head turners by any means, let’s check out Elevate Gold Status:
- All the benefits of Silver Status above plus the following
- 100% bonus Elevate points on all Virgin America flights
- 24-hour advance purchase for First Class upgrades for you and a companion
- Up to 3 free checked bags
- Check in at the airport First Class line
- 1 additional free day passes (total of 3) to the Virgin America Loft lounge at LAX
If you are curious, you can find out more about Elevate Elite Status here.
Obviously, getting Silver Elite status is great. Unfortunately, you need to spend $30,000 on this card to get the 15,000 status points annually. You get 5,000 status points after you spend $10,000 on the credit card, up to 15,000 status points per year. While this is a lot of spend, I can see loyal Virgin customers getting a tremendous amount of value out of this. Especially if they are shooting for Gold Status.